Studio Log #12

Jun 11, 2017


Having listened through and assessed all the various bits and parts I’ve written for this since its inception I have realized (as I always do sooner or later) that the second version is the definitive version. I’ve made a rough edit to iron out the false starts and odd section counts, and I shall rehearse it and iron it out further.

Lyric-wise, I have a couple good lines and an overall concept. I’m not sure any of these things will meet in some kind of finished text.

But I’m counting this as enough forward motion to set it aside as my primary focus for the moment.

“Improvisation #5”

On to the R&D pile. I think there is another piece I have been referring to as #5 which is actually #6 - I discovered a vestigial, forgotten about #5 in my computer this morning and set about filling it up. It is pretty much just a long fretless guitar improv in an alternate tuning [F A# C G# A# D# low-high]. It kinda reminds of Adrien Belew’s “Big Electric Cat”, so I’m trying to flesh it out with sort of an early 80’s synthesizer vibe.

But at this point I’m just working through the drum part. I have a lot of repetitive work, followed by some editing, then on to the arrangement. Yes I started from the guitar and am moving backwards from how one would normally do a track. The guitar part is more of a part than a solo, so I may just track some more on top later.