Studio Log #17

August 22, 2017

8/20/17 R&D #6 is now called “Filthy Stinkin’ Boids”.

I mixed it all down to audio stems, did some post production tweaks, and I think it’s ready for prime-time.

Listening back to it now. No idea what I’m going to tackle next.

In the meantime, organization:

R&D:

#1 - Dark, melodic guitar improvisation
#2 - Melodic, looping fretless guitar improvisation
#3 - atonal looping fretless guitar improvisation
#4 - abstract guitar & electronish background
#5 - riffy, melodic guitar & electronics (I need a name)
#6 - atonal guitar noise & techno (Filthy Stinkin’ Boids)

Pile:

Y CAN NOT - Guitar Instrumental; bluesy but also Frippish
Ganymede - Vocal song; guitary & technoish
Halfway - Chord progression plus resampled guitar. Needs work, not sure what this will be in the end
I Dunno - Long Metal song. Needs a lot of work
I Zebra - Pretty much a guitar instrumental. In my head it’s some kind of dark goth jam, but that’s not at all what’s been recorded
Jester - A jazzy solo guitar piece. Kinda Frisellish. Still need to work out the final form before moving on
John Doe - Guitar & electronics. Kind of a mess at the moment
Permeable - A noisy thing with black metal overtones. Fairy Complete.
The Kgnarl - Guitar instrumental; weird & disjointed
The Want Machine - Vocal song; proggy rock/metal
Unbalanced - very long guitar improv & MIDI + Electronics. Currently 20 minutes long, and I’d like to get it 6.
Wired - electronic soundscape
Substantiate - another dark guitary black metal dark gothy thing

  • (done) -
    Shacklebones - guitar techno
    Search For The One - guitar techno
    Seppuku - guitar techno/soundscape
    Cyclone - ugly soundscape with pseudo-jazz and electronics. Reminds me of Neurotica without the Adrien Belew bits.
    Clouds - ambient guitarscape

So, turning it around & grouping with like things:

Metallish:

I Dunno
I Zebra
Permeable
The Kgnarl
The Want Machine

Ambient:

Halfway
Substantiate
Seppuku
Cyclone
Clouds

Electronic:

R&D #5
Filthy Stinkin’ Boids
Unbalanced
Wired
Shacklebones
Search For The One
Seppuku
Cyclone

####Guitary/Songy
Y CAN NOT
Jester
John Doe
The Want Machine

I don’t know that these are strict delineations, like each of these is an album in progress, but it’s food for thought.

Or just for the heck of it, in order of done-nes:

Done:

Shacklebones
Search For The One
Seppuku
Cyclone
Clouds

Pretty Sure it’s Done:

Filthy Stinkin’ Boids
Y CAN NOT
R&D #5
Permeable

Largely done, needs words/editing/final recording:

Ganymede
The Want Machine
Wired
Unbalanced

…and the rest.

None of this includes Triptych, the thing that is supposed to be the primary thing I’m working on right now!

Studio Log #16

August 19, 2017

It’s been weird watching my aesthetic drift into techno, a music I neither listen to nor like very much. But my current working method is pretty much “take guitar solo, and throw random sounds at it until it somewhat approaches HYO-MAN MYOO-ZIK” and damned if techno beats and production don’t JUST WORK.

Which is a long roundabout way to tell the story of #6 and how it’s my third recent thing that could arguably be called a techo song with guitars.

I had an R&D #6 for a long time. (I was called #5 for a long time because of poor version conntrol, but that got better and it got #6’d.) It started from a totally atonal & arrhythmic track created with a Max application called Clouds. I added a bunch of other similarly non-musical elements, then created a beat in a weird time signature, then tried to record a guitar improvisation on my 12-string electric in a strange and unfamiliar tuning. That was thrwarted by the power going out and the unexpected surprise of my UPS being dead. I made another pass some time later, intending to comp together the best bits of both improvs into something good.

But the more I worked with it, the more I felt it wasn’t going anywhere. I liked little bits of both improvs, but there was no clear way to meld them together in any reasonable forms (although I just had an idea right this very minute - ed.), and I didn’t like any of it enough to justify all the time I was putting into it.

So I threw it away and started a new #6. Found a weird guitar solo recorded to a beat last December. I have no memory of the specific tone and effect combination. Don’t remember the tuning either, but I DID at least record each open string at the beginning so I could reverse engineer it if needed. And I started throwing tracks at it. It’s basically done now, but for a little bit of cleanup and experimentation.

And the end result is yet another technoish track, and one I like enough that I may just move it over from the R&D category into the ‘hey, let’s throw this on an album’ category under the title Filthy, Stinkin’ Boids.

So I’m still out an R&D #6.